Search This Blog

Friday, May 25, 2018

Georgia Rape Victim Awarded $1 Billion in Damages


RadioOnFire.com - Hope Cheston, who was sexually assaulted by an armed security guard in Georgia in 2012, has been awarded $1 billion in damages after suing the security guard's employer, according to a report from the Washington Post.

Cheston spoke about the trauma the incident inflicted on her in a news conference on Wednesday.

“My childhood was stolen,” Cheston told reporters. “I had to basically build up my own self-esteem and remind myself who I am and just where I’m meant to go and remember my purpose on this Earth and not let this man feel like he took my purpose.”

Brandon Lamar Zachary, who was 22 at the time of the assault, has been convicted of rape and sentenced to 20 years in prison.



Initially, Cheston reportedly sued the apartment complex and its property management company as well, but they were dismissed. The company, Security Protection Agency, is solely responsible for the damages.

“What that number stands for is the most important thing,” Cheston’s lawyer said. “We don’t care what we end up finally recovering from this company. We know they don’t have $1 billion. But it’s what 12 people in the state of Georgia said a victim of rape is worth that echoes louder.”

“This $1 billion isn’t just my $1 billion,” Cheston said. “This number on this sheet of paper—it’s my case, yes, but it’s all of our case.”
Source: complex.com

No comments:

Post a Comment