Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2017

Jay-Z Told Talib Kweli He Couldn't Afford "Get By" Remix Verse



RadioOnFire.com - Talib Kweli is set to release his eighth studio album, Radio Silence on November 17th. Earlier this week, the Brooklyn MC stopped by Desus & Mero to promote the album and talk about Dave Chappelle, Black Star, working with Kanye West and much more.


Around the 15-minute mark of the conversation. Kweli shares the backstory behind Hov's guest verse on the remix of his 2003 hit single, "Get By".
"When I first talked to Jay about doing the 'Get By' remix, I sent him a message on a two-way pager and he hit me back months later but asked me for my email address and sent the verse to me, And then when I seen him, I was like, 'Yo, thank you for that, I gotta pay you bro.' He was like, 'You can't afford to pay me for this.' It sounds harsh, but it was brutally honest. He was like, 'What I charge for verses is whole budgets. I'm not going to do that to you.'"
Rappers often trade verses on each other's albums rather than pay a flat fee. However, Hov is ... Hov. For the past 20 years, Jay's price has been rumored to be somewhere between $200k and $1.5M.
Kweli literally Got By.
Source: djbooth.net

No comments:

Post a Comment