Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Alessia Cara Vents On Backlash Over Her Winning Best New Artist Grammy



RadioOnFire.com - 21-year-old Alessia Cara is one of the few women who won a Grammy last Sunday. She got the award for Best New Artist and in part received much backlash. Many online detractors questioned her win over "newer" artists SZA, Khalid, and Lil Uzi Vert mentioning that her debut project hit shelves in 2015. Others created a discourse around SZA being snubbed and in general the lack of female award winners in the year of Times Up.

Alessia took to her Instagram to defend her win. The young singer began her long post by explaining that she had "no control over" winning, she clarified that she didn't submit herself to the category and didn't ask to be submitted because "there are other artists that deserve the acknowledgment." She also went on to explain that regardless of the backlash she was extremely proud of the accolade.




“I am not going to be upset about something I’ve wanted since I was a kid, not to mention have worked really hard for,” she wrote. “I will not let everything I’ve worked for be diminished by people taking offense to my accomplishments and feeling the need to tell me how much I suck." For all those people who were taking the time to tell her she sucked in comparison to the other artists on the card with her, the post took a somber turn as she rehashed her insecurities.

"Here’s something fun! I’ve been thinking I suck since I was old enough to know what sucking meant. I’ve beat u to it,” she said. “And that’s why this means a lot to me. Despite my 183,625 insecurities, I’ve been shown that what I’ve created is worth something and that people actually give a s***."

She ended her statement with, “All of the years feeling like I wasn’t good at anything or that I was naïve for dreaming about something improbable have paid off in a way that I have yet to process,” she continued. “I know it sounds cheesy and dumb but it’s the honest truth. Thanks to everyone who’s shown me kindness and support along the way. I’ll stop talking now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment