Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Everything You Need To Know About Maryland's Primary



Where do I vote? What races are on my ballot?
You can check your registration and polling place, and view your sample ballot using the state's voter registration lookup. The lists of candidates on there will also include links to campaign finance and candidates' social media pages, where available, and other more general resources like FactCheck.org, Politifact and the Federal Election Commission.
When are polling places open?
On April 26, your local precinct will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. If you are in line at 8 p.m., you should still be able to vote.
I forgot to register, or want to change my party affiliation. Can I do that?
Though registration is closed for voters going to the polls on April 26, Maryland law has changed to allow voters to register on-site at early voting locations.
Can I write anybody in?
No. Write-in votes may only be cast in the general election.
I have a disability. What do I need to know and what do I do if I need help?
Look up your polling place on the state website. If the polling place is not accessible, the website will say so. If it's not, it's too late to request a polling place change. However, you can request an absentee ballot online or vote early.
If you can get to your polling place and can't fill out the paper ballot used by other voters, electronic voting machines will be available to those who ask an election judge. Using a headset and keypad, blind and low-vision voters may listen to the ballot and use the keypad, or use high contrast and large print functions to read the ballot. Other assistive devices may also be plugged into the machine.
If you need someone to assist you, you can bring somebody as long as that person isn't your employer or an agent of your employer, an officer or agent of your union or a poll challenger or watcher. If you need help and don't have any qualifying persons, you can have two election judges assist.
English is my second language. Can I get a ballot in my first language?
In Montgomery and Prince George's counties, ballot materials are available in Spanish. Contact your local board of elections to see if there is material available in other languages.
Will I need to show ID?
Generally, no. However, if you're a first-time voter, you may be asked to produce identification. If asked, you can show an election judge a copy of a current and valid photo ID, like a driver's license, student ID, passport or any other government-issued ID card or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or government document dated within three months of the election.
I'm electioneering outside the polling place, or am otherwise going to be wearing a campaign shirt or button while voting. Can I do that?
Yes, but you must leave the polling place immediately after voting.
I can't make it to an early voting polling place, and will be busy or out of town on April 26. Can I vote absentee?
You can request an absentee ballot online through Friday.
I just moved, but haven't changed my registration.
If you moved at least three weeks before the election, look up the polling place for your new address. Go there and complete a provisional ballot. If you moved less than three weeks before the election, you can vote at the polling place for your old address or vote a provisional ballot at the polling place for your new address.
Can I bring my kids to the polls?
You can bring one or two children under 18 with you, as long as they don't interfere with normal voting procedures.
Can I use my cell phone?
No. You can't use your cell phone, camera or computer equipment in a polling place.
What can I bring with me?
Any printed material, including your marked specimen ballot, you need to help you vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment