Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2016

Sheriff Awards Slain Deputies With Medals Of Honor


The Harford County sheriff's deputies killed in the line of duty earlier this month have been honored with Medals of Honor.
A viewing for Mark Logsdon, a 16-year veteran of the Harford County Sheriff's Office, started at 2 p.m. Thursday and will go until 9 p.m. at Mountain Christian Church. A viewing will also be held Friday from 2-9 p.m.
Logsdon was fatally shot by 68-year-old Brian Evans, who first opened fire on another deputy, Patrick Dailey, a 30-year Sheriff's Office veteran, inside a Panera Bread restaurant in Abingdon on Feb. 10. Logsdon came into contact with Evans minutes later in a parking lot nearby and was fatally shot. Responding deputies killed the gunman.
Logsdon, 43, was assigned to the Community Services Division. He is survived by his wife, three children and his parents. And he has left behind a grieving community, including the pastor of Mountain Christian Church, who was the Logsdon's neighbor in Fallston.
"Everybody who talks about Mark says he didn't let the little things bring him down. He kept things in perspective. He was a happy-go-lucky, seat-of-your-pants kind of guy. He embraced life. He loved a laugh. So he would say, 'Keep it light, folks. Life's too short.'" said Ben Cachiaras, senior pastor at Mountain Christian Church.
Sheriff Jeff Gahler told 11 News Thursday that while Logsdon appreciated the promotion to senior deputy, he was most proud to be called deputy first class.
Before the viewing began, there was a private, poignant moment inside the church. Dailey's family was there in support, and Logsdon's family was presented with a posthumous Medal of Honor.
"Both of our deputies gave their life in the line of duty, and for that, we have awarded two Medals of Honor, one for Senior Deputy Pat (Dailey), and one for Mark (Logsdon), and I pray I never award another one," Gahler said.
People in the community who knew Logsdon said he was deeply connected to the community. And so, in the middle of her grief, his wife, Jennifer, sent a message to the community:
"Dear Family, Friends, and Community,
"Words cannot express our gratitude for the overwhelming support since the death of my hero, DFC Mark Logsdon of the Harford County Sheriff’s Office. My family and I are heartbroken by Mark’s death but are finding peace and comfort in the kindness of strangers, the love of our community, the support of allied law enforcement agencies, and the prayers of many.
"Mark proudly wore the uniform of a Harford County Deputy Sheriff and worked every day to protect his community, but beneath the uniform he was just Mark ... a great guy, a great friend, and a great deputy. To the Sheriff’s Office, thank you for being Mark’s friend. He loved each of you and was so proud to be a member of the law enforcement community.
"Mark was not only my husband, he was my best friend. We dreamed of the days of retirement, warm weather, and endless golf courses. Now, I would give everything away and live in a cardboard box, if I could just be with Mark again. He was -- he is -- my world and I don’t know how I will move forward without him by my side. He was truly special. He was a hero every day, not just to me, but to his parents, his sister, and three beautiful children.
"This week has devastated my life and reminded me that life is precious and can change in the blink of an eye. Mark would want me to tell all of you to live life as he did -- to the fullest. Love each other, laugh with each other, and always remember to cherish every moment, as if it could be your last.
"And while I know that you all share in my grief, I ask for privacy. As I try to simply survive the next few days, my family and I ask for your understanding and patience. Please give me the opportunity to find solace in my memories and privately grieve the loss of my Mark.
"With love and respect,
Jennifer Logsdon"
In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the Wounded Warrior Project, P.O. Box 758515, Topeka, KS 66675 or to the Mark Logsdon Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 1176, Aberdeen, MD 21001.
The fatal shootings were the first such killings of law enforcement officers in Harford County since 1899.

No comments:

Post a Comment